Wednesday, July 11, 2012

My connection with the Hudson Valley

I have a long and enduring connection to the Hudson  Valley, especially Woodstock. My mother s family came here a little late by historical standards to the lands that would eventually become our great nation. Adam Short arrived in New Castle aboard Wm.. Penn s ship the Welcome on August 24th,1682.It  was from there somewhere between 1695 and 1724 that his son  Hendrick came to Kingston and married a local girl Gepje Winne. These two were the parents of Peter Short of Woodstock, who would play a prominent part in the life of the early settlement.  I am a very proud American  proud of our history and proud of what can be our future.  I have a copy of  a patten of land that Peter Short first lived on in Woodstock  dated before the American Revolution  and a hand written prodigy line dated 9th of May 1763 that my  mother s sister found in the first Bible  from the Dutch Reformed Church on the village green. My grandfather was the last on the list. There are many other proud families  around this area too  More to come..

No comments:

Post a Comment