Sunday, October 5, 2014

Money should not buy representation

The title of this post is one of the principles that am running on this election cycle.  There are three in total; the other two are : government must have a conscience and  democrats and republicans do not represent the people..I will talk about those principles in another post.  On the 11th of  July of this year, I did an interview with Allison Dunne on NPR (local affiliate WAMC),.. some of you may have  heard the  discussion.  Basicly, I said  that money should be removed  from politics. You probably think that s  funny. It s not. I believe that elections should be publicly funded; I believe that large campaign contributions are a form of bribery and that is against the law.  Publicly funded elections, meaning a fixed amount of money taken out the electorates federal income taxes  would limit the amount of spending  and give others,namely independents,   a chance. It would help level the playing field. Presently, enormous amounts of money  are spent on campaign mailings, political consultants,and campaign advertisements on television  and more.  To date, between the incumbent Chris Gibson and his democratic challenger Sean Eldridge,  they have raised over 5.2 million dollars to pay for such activities..I have raised one hundred fifty dollars  and I am trying to get  some more money for signs. Can you imagine the impact if I win by spending less than one thousand dollars? When I called the League of Women Voters and spoke to one of their representatives, I asked :"how come I did not get invited to the debates..?"   She replied that I was not serious because I  was not raising piles of money and that I was a write-in  .  A  write-in actually  is a candidate  whether he or she has money or not. The electorate just has  to remember the person s name, I  am an independent candidate running as a write-in. By having publicly funded elections,  we create  a fairer competition between candidates..Elected officals are public servants ; I do not see any reason  why the F.C.C. could not further level the playing field  by insisting that the television and cable  networks run a fixed number of rotating public service  announcements for federal candidates during  every election cycle  during the news hour at dinner time.  They should be listed in the entertainment section  of newspapers  so that we can find out who we want to listen to.  After all, we the people have to approve the message...at the ballot box!                                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment